The Mombasa HIV/STD Research Site
High Quality Care
The Mombasa HIV/STD Research Site provides a wide range of services to at-risk and HIV-positive women in the community. Over our 23 year history in Mombasa, we have provided VCT to more than 9,500 and on-going outpatient services to more than 3,600 women. Our highly trained staff is dedicated to providing high quality care.The Mombasa Site was one of the first research clinics in Kenya to offer antiretroviral therapy to participants, beginning in March 2004.
Screening and Treatment
- Confidential voluntary counseling and testing for HIV-1.
- State of the art laboratory screening and treatment for STIs and other genital tract infections.
- Screening for cervical cancer using a combination of Pap smear, VIA, and nucleic amplification based testing for high-risk HPV infection.
- HIV care including:
- CD4 monitoring.
- Prophylaxis for opportunistic infections with Septrin.
- TB screening and treatment for latent TB infection with INH.
- TB evaluation including chest x-ray with referral to Ganjoni TB treatment program for patients with active TB.
- Diagnosis and treatment for a range of opportunistic infections.
- Antiretroviral therapy with laboratory and clinical monitoring for treatment effectiveness and side effects.
- HIV Positive Women’s Support Group (monthly meetings).
- Referral services for hospital admissions or services not available at Ganjoni.
Women's Health Education & Community Outreach
- HIV and STI risk reduction education.
- Provision of free condoms and instruction on correct use of condoms.
- Community outreach including regularly scheduled health talks outreach meetings to provide information to women in the community. Topics include general health topics as well as HIV and STI prevention and treatment.
- Dissemination of research findings to women in the community.
- Development and distribution of educational materials and newsletters.